God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Potter Molds Us

preaching UCC Casper WY
This weekend is my first sermon at my new congregation. I decided to do a sermon series on being shaped by the Potter’s hand. So we are going to look at people who have been shaped by God’s presence.

This first week I am using Isaiah 64:8 and Jeremiah 18:1-11. Both speak of God the Potter. God gives Jeremiah the command to go and visit a potter after watching the potter God tells Jeremiah that I have that same ability. I can take you Israel and shape and reshape you the way God who fashions and forms us. I hope to share about myself and my faith.

God has worked in my life molding me and remolding me. I wish that I could say as Bono sings in Magnificent “I was born / I was born to sing for you / 
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up / And sing whatever song you wanted me to / I give you back my voice “. But God didn’t choose to make me a rock star who can share a passion for singing and moving a crowd.

God chose to mold me into a preacher. He started by showing me I had a talent for words. Those first words were a desired to write. I often said of my writing it was as if I was speaking to people, all kinds of people could hear and understand what I said. But it wasn’t enough teaching me to write, I didn’t have a passion for any subject that would lead me to write as a job. I was still in need of molding and shaping. I needed to find what I truly wanted to share with the world and until I found it the Potter had to seep refining me. "Only love, only love can leave such a mark / 
But only love, only love can heal such a scar / Justified till we die, you and I will magnify / The Magnificent / 
Magnificent
/ Only love, only love can leave such a mark / 
But only love, only love unites our hearts.”

I found that love that changed and marked me. I realized God gave me a gift of words and the ability to make connections in order to share that gift with others. While I can’t sing, I can preach that joyful noise. I can preach that challenge that Jeremiah shared with Israel. God’s longing to mold people into the creation he desires, a community of love open to all, a community called to take that love out into the streets and help transform the world into God’s vision of a world where the blind can see, the lame can walk, the captives are set free, and God’s favor is shared freely with all.

No comments:

Post a Comment