God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Unknown Caller


While my son and I were at the U2 concert in Boston, I was struck by the lyrics of one of the songs. A song I had listened to on my No Line on the Horizon CD, but had not really heard. As I was experiencing the song, I realized it was a prayer and was putting myself into the prayer. The song begins with the dark night of the soul. A person lost in the middle of the night unable to sleep. All alone or feeling all alone. And into that place, where the numbers on the clock blur, the voice of God enters. The clock says 3:33, a time that recalls Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known).” In that moment, in that dark night if you open yourself you just may hear the voice of God.

A voice that you can call on that will tell you things. “Go, shout it out, rise up, Oh, oh, Escape yourself, and gravity, Hear me, cease to speak that I may speak.” The voice in this song is saying stop the stuff rumbling around in your mind , so that I may speak. You need to stop, slow down, quiet, hush, shush, so that I may speak. But the lost soul hasn’t quite heard the voice and continues to struggle. Lost on the edge, lost at an accident, waiting. And into that waiting again comes the voice, actually a chorus of voices, singing: “Restart and re-boot yourself, You're free to go, Oh, oh, Shout for joy if you get the chance, Password, you enter here, right now, Oh, oh, You know your name so punch it in.” So those of us who spend our life on computers hear the voice of God speaking to us in the language we understand. We haven’t taken the time to hush, to be quiet so that voice of God can speak of those great and hidden things.

In the silence comes the music that speaks to us. The recorded song ends with a guitar/organ solo that sounds like a hymn being played. One fan argues the hymn played is “My Savior’s Love.” The live version of the song ends with “Password, you enter here, right now, You know your name so punch it in.” As this is sung over and over I kept thinking what is my name? What is my password? My answer was child of God, called. How would you answer? What is your name and password? Are you willing to shush now and hear you name. Hear God whisper your password. Hear: you are a beloved child of God. I have named you. I have called you. You are mine. You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment