God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Friday, May 7, 2010

the Weather and Bullets

And I wonder where is the love?/ … Where is the love? / Love and peace

I had the weather on this morning to find out to what my son should take on his field trip. So I asked him, what did the news say? He said, “Rain, Thunder and Murder.” I looked at him puzzled. He said they were talking about rain all day, but scrolling along the bottom was info on the murders that had taken place and the conviction of a woman who killed her daughter in law.

Lay down your guns
All your daughters of Zion
All your Abraham sons

We need
Love and peace


This is why I rarely watch the local news. If you only watched the news you would think that all humankind does is kill each other. For the first thing up on the broadcast is murder. When we lived in Pennsylvania we would count how many murders a day. How do you live in a world that seems out of control and scary?

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I don't know if I can take it
I'm not easy on my knees
Here's my heart you can break it


With the amount of weapons being bought since Obama became president on the rise, how can we control the murder rate? Ironically he is not that in favor of gun control. So the need to hoard guns is not necessary. With weapons readily available, especially the weapons only designed to kill people, how do we create a world of love and peace.

Baby don't fight
We can talk this thing through
It's not a big problem
It's just me and you
You can call or I'll phone


Many of these murders are guns used on family. Is there any domestic dispute that is truly so bad a gun has to be drawn? Sometimes I wonder if we need to go back to preschool. At least in my son’s preschool years we had to have talks about using our words and not our fists. But publically what kind of options or obligations do we have to protect people from the violence that enters their lives? I know I don’t have the answers, but isn’t it time to stop accepting murder as part of life and start creating the public policies that lead to love and peace. Is it time to choose the path of life instead of the path of death?
Love and Peace or Else, U2

No comments:

Post a Comment