God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, June 28, 2010

Up in Smoke

My son and I were driving back to Casper, Wyoming from Denver where he had been staying with his dad for the summer. We had just gotten past Douglas when we started to see this huge cloud of smoke coming from what looked like Casper. So I called a friend to ask what was going on and she told me that the mountain started burning at about noon on Monday. I asked if we should turn around or was it safe to come back. She said at the moment people were being evacuated south of where we live.

Reed said to me, “Mom that is about the time you were picking me up. You know what that means. It means all of your problems are going up in smoke. Since you got me everything will be all right.”

I don’t know about you, but it doesn’t always feel like everything will be all right. In the moment of crisis it is hard to see beyond the crisis. When he said this to me it was hard to picture my problems going up in smoke. The church I was pasturing let me go because they didn’t have enough money to pay me. They were broke; which meant now I was broke and looking for work and wondering where my son, the pets and I were going to live. At that moment it didn’t look like my problems were going up in smoke. I wanted a solution to present itself immediately. I wanted God to fly down and fix everything for me. But God rarely does what I want.

Which is when we have to cling to the promises of our faith? Sometimes Friday can be really awful. Sometimes Friday is really bleak. Sometimes Friday is so dark it seems like the world is going to stop. Sometimes on Saturday morning you don’t even want to crawl out of bed because the world is still out of focus and dark. And Saturday night isn’t a whole lot better. But then the first rays of dawn start spreading their beauty and color. Sunday morning has rolled around. As a resurrection people, God promises us that Easter Morning will always dawn. That life will come from death, that healing will come from pain that joy will come in the morning that a new heaven and a new earth will arise out of the dust and ashes. We are a people of promise and hope. God promises to never forsake us through the pain of Good Friday and will be with us into the brightness and joy of Easter morning. May we always remember we are a resurrection people.

In the bulb there is a flower;
In the seed, an apple tree;
In cocoons, a hidden promise:
Butterflies will soon be free!

In the cold and snow of winter,
There's a spring that waits to be,
Unrevealed until its season,
Something God alone can see.

There's a song in every silence,
Seeking word and melody;
There's a dawn in every darkness,
bringing hope to you and me.

From the past will come the future;
What it holds, a mystery,
Unrevealed until its season,
Something God alone can see.

In our end is our beginning;
In our time, infinity.
In our doubt, there is believing;
In our life, eternity.

In our death, a resurrection;
At the last, a victory
Unrevealed until its season,
Something God alone can see.
                  Natalie Sleeth, Hymn of Promise

No comments:

Post a Comment