God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, July 12, 2010

Fish Kill

Why was no one there when I came?
Why did no one answer when I called?
Is my hand shortened, that it cannot redeem?
Or have I no power to deliver?
By my rebuke I dry up the sea,
I make the rivers a desert;
their fish stink for lack of water, and die of thirst.
I clothe the heavens with blackness, and make sackcloth their covering. Isaiah 50:2-3.
This passage evokes an image of the time I felt, saw, and smelled a fish kill. I was living in Connecticut at the time near a cow farm. This wasn't a cow farm like when I was a teenager in Illinois. The cows roomed the fields and pastures. In Connecticut these cows were never free. They did not go out of the barn accept when they were loaded on the truck for slaughter. The farmer dumped the waste into the stream running through his land. A stream that was a tributary to the river where my son and I went to play. The summer he was caught dumping was the summer the fish died. Until the fish died no one cared about what he did with the waste. The water has the most foul odor. There were fish by the dozens that just died and floated in dank smelly water. The fish died because they couldn't breathe in the clogged water. The abuse of these cows had repercussions on the fish and on the water in the area.

While the passage I choose speaks of exile with God having the power to redeem and save, but no one being is open or able to answer. When no one is able to answer it is like the heavens itself are mourning. The entire universe mourns the fact that humans refuse to be redeemed. Humanity is not turning back to God, so the heavens show forth the deepest sorrow.

God we know you try to reach us but sometimes you call or come to us and we do not answer. Open us up to see the consequences of the way we are as a people. Don't forsake us when forget or get lost. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment