God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Make Me A Servant

1 Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. 2 The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, 4 got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. 5 Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?" 7 Jesus answered, "You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand." 8 Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no share with me." 9 Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!" 10 Jesus said to him, "One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you." 11 For he knew who was to betray him; for this reason he said, "Not all of you are clean." 12 After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am. 14 So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. 16 Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. 17 If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.  John 13:1-17
Lake Geneva Wisconsin
When I got down to the lake on my walk today.  I sat down on the dock and put my feet into the water.  It was so hot today.  I didn't just want to be near the water.  I wanted to feel the water:  let it wash a way the heat and dirt, let it cool and refresh, let it calm and sooth me.  As I am dangling my feet in the water, I start thinking about John's story of the last passover meal.  At this festival, in the midst of dinner Jesus got up from the table, took off his robe, tied a towel around himself and began to wash the disciples feet.  Not because they were dirty and had just entered a house that probably already occurred since they are eating. Like the woman who anointed Jesus. Jesus knowing he is going to God anoints his disciples. Peter doesn't want this act of servitude performed on him.  Jesus says to be part of him Peter must be washed.  Being Peter, he says well don't just stop at my feet wash everything.  He tells the disciples to be like they must do as he did.  To love and serve as Jesus loved and served to to do as he did.  Jesus loved us so much he served us, as we are to in turn serve each other. 
Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up those who are weak
And may the prayers of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

No comments:

Post a Comment