God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Miracle Drug or Stranger's Eyes

Freedom has a scent Like the top of a new born baby's head

My Zune has been stuck on the U2 song Miracle Drug. Each time I set out for my walk this week the song would play. It was the song you remember from the set your heard. It has been stuck in my head all week. I would wake up singing a phrase. My brain was hearing something is this song that I needed to look at. So I have to admit I couldn’t figure out why I was singing this song, because I wasn’t sure I understood what was being said. I am not the kind of person who looked for a drug to change anything. I hate being out of control and leery about the promise of any drug. So searching for a miracle drug wouldn’t be something I did. But when I was hearing this I wasn’t thinking about God or Jesus being my drug of choice. I always thought that was kind of hokey. The songs are in your eyes / I see them when you smile / I've had enough of romantic love / I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up / For a miracle, a miracle drug, a miracle drug.

So what was this song about? One of the stories Bono tells about the song is about someone in their school when they were growing up who had a disease that left him unable to move or communicate. He had a mother who wouldn’t give up on him and he had a drug that was invented and helped him. While he didn’t become cured his life changed and he became a poet through the use of technology and hard work. He inspired Bono and he knew he wanted to speak about this drug. So Bono sang about I want to trip inside your head / Spend the day there... / To hear the things you haven't said / And see what you might see

But the song is so much more. You don’t know this story. So I went where I am often drawn in a U2 song where is God. God I need your help tonight / Beneath the noise / Below the din / I hear your voice / It's whispering / In science and in medicine / ‘I was a stranger You took me in.’ I was hearing these words in the song. When looking into the eyes of another was I able to see and experience the presence of God? Can you imagine what the world would be like if we truly believed that Jesus was going to meet us in the strangers we encounter.  Would you actually speak and interact with the bagger at the grocery store?  Would you see the person alone on the street?  Would you wonder each day when you get up who will Jesus be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment