God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Friday, September 24, 2010

Wherever You Go I Will Go

Have you ever wondered why some of us have amazing stories of call or can dramatically speak of the point when God has stopped us in the midst of what we are doing and sets us on a new path that we didn’t imagine was possible. In The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Curtis James argues that the spot where Ruth, Orpah and Naomi stop on the way from Moab to Bethlehem is a place where just such a call happens, a life is changed forever. Ruth is told she must make a choice, she must choose to return to her family and not follow Naomi into an unknown and what looks like a doomed future. Their prospects together would be grim with both of them being widows and Ruth being a foreigner on top of this.


But in that moment on that path Ruth makes this pledge: "Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die— there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you! (Ruth 1:16-17)”. Ruth chooses the harder path, for in that moment her life is changed. She chooses to follow not only God Almighty, El Shaddai; she chooses to become part of God’ people; she chooses to follow the mother of her heart and not her birth.

I was on the outside when you said
You needed me
I was looking at myself
I was blind, I could not see.
A boy tries hard to be a man
His mother takes him by the hand
If he stops to think, he starts to cry
Oh why?
…I was looking through the window
I was lost, I am found.
…If you walk away, walk away
I walk away, walk away
I will follow.
            U2

No comments:

Post a Comment