God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, October 4, 2010

Going Home

I'm staring out into the night, trying to hide the pain
I'm going to the place where love
And feeling good don't ever cost a thing
And the pain you feel's a different kind of pain
Well, I'm going home, back to the place where I belong
And where your love has always been enough for me
I'm not running from, no, I think you got me all wrong
I don't regret this life I chose for me
But these places and these faces are getting old
So I'm going home, well I'm going home
                               Daughtry, Home

I was watching Chuck on Monday Night. In this episode Chuck and Sarah are living together, but Sarah being a spy constantly sent out on missions has not unpacked her stuff she keeps it in the suitcase ready to leave. Chuck, through the concern of his best friend saying this lack of unpacking is the disaster that will break Sarah and Chuck up begins to worry that there is something wrong. Sarah has never had a home. After all of the drama at the end of the episode Sarah declares that Chuck is her home. He is the place where she belongs.

Because I have been spending the last few weeks absorbed in Ruth, I was struck but this imagery of being someone’s home. When Naomi leaves Moab after the death of her family, she tries to send her daughter-in-laws home. Orpah follows her advice and heads back to her mother. But Ruth says, “Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die— there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you!" (Ruth 1:16-17). In essence like Sarah, Ruth is saying to Naomi you are my home. Wherever you are, wherever you go, wherever you die, I will be with you. She is pledging to always be there. Even when times are looking especially bleak, Naomi doesn’t express the same sentiment. She is still searching for home, “So they went until they were come to Bethlehem” (Ruth 1:19). Maybe she hoped that being among her people there would be a healing that occurred. But what she doesn’t realize is that God is working through the lives of those around her to help her finally feel as if she belongs. After having fled home for fear of hunger and starvation, Naomi returns empty hoping that but not expecting something better. Yet her steps lead her back to God and to her people. Her steps lead her back home, to a place where she will once again have family and be filled.
I've spent 20 years tryin to get out of this place
I was looking for something I couldn't replace
I was runnin' away from the only thing I've ever known
and like a blind dog without a bone
I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone
I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold

I went as far as I could try'in to find a new face
There isn't one of these lines that I would erase
I left a million miles of memories on that road
and every step I take I know that I'm not alone
You take the home from the boy but not the boy from his home
these are my streets the only life I've ever known
Who says you can't go home

who says you can't go home
there's only one place they call me one of their own
just a hometown boy born a rolling stone
who says you can't go home
                                                        Bon Jovi, Sugarland, Who Says You can’t go Home

No comments:

Post a Comment