God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pray, Fast and Act

Lent with the Lord's Prayer

This month I joined the fast sponsored by Jim Wallis and Sojourners, David Beckman of Bread for the world and other national religious leaders are joining Ambassador Tony Hall, director of the Alliance to End Hunger.  This month I will fast, prayer, and act to to help reshape the priorities of nation to reflect God's dream for a world where the hunger are fed, the poor are helped, the sick receive healing...

Commit to Pray, Fast, and Take Action

Prayer
Reflect on scripture, commit to praying for Congress, and humbly search my own heart for areas of repentance.

Then all the Israelites, the whole army, went back to Bethel and wept, sitting there before the Lord; they fasted that day until evening. Then they offered burnt-offerings and sacrifices of well-being before the Lord. Judges 20:26

They mourned and wept, and fasted until evening for Saul and for his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword. 2 Samuel 1:12

21Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river Ahava, that we might deny ourselves before our God, to seek from him a safe journey for ourselves, our children, and all our possessions. 22 For I was ashamed to ask the king for a band of soldiers and cavalry to protect us against the enemy on our way, since we had told the king that the hand of our God is gracious to all who seek him, but his power and his wrath are against all who forsake him. 23 So we fasted and petitioned our God for this, and he listened to our entreaty.  Ezra 8:21-23

At the evening sacrifice I got up from my fasting, with my garments and my mantle torn, and fell on my knees, spread out my hands to the Lord my God. Ezra 9:5

When I heard these words I sat down and wept, and mourned for days, fasting and praying before the God of heaven. Nehemiah 1:4

15Then Esther said in reply to Mordecai, 16'Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will also fast as you do. After that I will go to the king, though it is against the law; and if I perish, I perish.' 17Mordecai then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him.  Esther 4:15-17

When I humbled my soul with fasting, they insulted me for doing so. Psalm 69:10

“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?” (Isaiah 58:6).

Fasting
Fast for one day a week, one meal a day, a food that you won’t eat for the month, a fast from shopping, tv, texting, facebooking, video games. This fast is a—fast unto God—to seek God’s guidance and God’s power.

Take Action
To take action that will express your hope for changing the minds of our political leaders. If you go to Bread for the World or Sourjourners site you can sign up for ways to take action on poverty and budget priorities.
http://www.bread.org/
http://www.sojo.org/

1 comment:

  1. I hope this time of fasting is a time of renewal as well as working for justice--thank you for your commitment!

    I'm introducing your blog today on RGBP--welcome! We're glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete