God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What's your Easter Story?

I have been spending my time with the stories of Acts.  Listening to the stories that reflect the early Christian Community as described in Acts 2:42-27
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. 44 All who believed were together and had all things in common; 45 they would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46Day by day, as they spent much time together in the temple, they broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having the goodwill of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.
This week we are celebrating the teaching ministry of the church and I have been thinking about stories.  What stories do we tell people about our faith, about Jesus, about God?  What story or image has stuck with you this Easter Season?

The image I have held in my heart is from my church's Easter Sunrise service.  This service provided me a time to be part of the crowd rather than the leader.  I must admit that I was rather distracted.  We held the service at sunrise in the park beside the lake.  While I would listen to what was happening I couldn't help but watch the water and the creatures of the water.  I am always drawn to large bodies of water.  They bring me a sense of calm and peace.  So I was listening and not listening to the service, when the pastor gave his sermon.  This retired pastor told of his resurrection experience, his call story.  He shared how he became Christian and the path that led him to ministry.  As he shared his story, there was a God moment.    I had been watching the geese on the lake and the seagulls, but as he shared the importance of resurrection faith to him, a flock of hundreds of white birds took off from the lake and flew behind him up and over the water.  It was an moment that made those of  us listening see and feel God.  These birds that hadn't been there were suddenly there in abundance.  This story of believing you were going to grow up to become a Japanese farmer after serving time in the military, was changed through an encounter with Christians that transformed your life completely.  This story of a living resurrection was punctuated by the new creation.  God stopped all of us there in that moment.  We shared the power and hope of the new creation.  We saw the beauty and power of God story.  We felt new life.  Alleluia.

No comments:

Post a Comment