God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, December 14, 2015

Rejoice

My advent word of the day is rejoice.

With the sadness and fear that has been pervasive this year, to rejoice becomes a challenge. My little bit of daily joy has become the morning drop of Bloom County. As the day begins there is Opus and Bill the Cat running for President with a restore the two spaces platform. There is Brinkley in love with Abby. There is Steve broken hearted. There are Star Wars, yoga and Trump references. 
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2d/22/23/2d222308949e731ba79d5dbab85d14d2.jpg
Who can resist a Zenguin in a Kaleidoscope of colors with the words be kind on his bottom and a flower growing out of his head. This Zenguin has brought me much joy this fall. Opus helps me to remember to get my Zen on when the world seems out of control. He reminds me to be kind when the world seems particularly unkind. Bloom County has helped me to experience joy and to rejoice.

One of the themes of Advent is joy. In the season of Advent we are reminded how we are a brood of vipers, how we need to repent, how the world can be a dangerous place where we need God to enter. Then comes the week we light our pink Advent candle and we are invited to rejoice. We are invited to remember that even in those moment when the world is a hard, fearful place to live that we can turn a corner, spend a moment in joy, spend a moment rejoicing.
16 But may all who seek you
   rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation
   say continually, ‘Great is the Lord!’
17 As for me, I am poor and needy,
   but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
   do not delay, O my God. 

                           Psalm 40:16-17
 Jeremy Camp "O Come O Come Emmanuel"

No comments:

Post a Comment