God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, December 7, 2015

Wonder

My advent word of the day is wonder.

Have you ever looked up at the stars at night and wondered? This is the question I was asked in the first philosophy class I took in college. The professor wanted us to think about the ability to look at something and be inspired to have questions, be curious about what is is there. To study philosophy he wanted to argue was to wonder, to be curious, to ask questions. I loved this question because it was the first time my desire to wonder was validated. To wonder, to be curious was seen as something good, something that would lead to asking ore questions and seeking more answers.

Last week went to the Science and Industry Museum in Chicago. While went to look at the Christmas Trees. The exhibit that drew my eye was the Tornado. I was drawn by the colors with all of the blues. But in the middle was this swirling vortex of white swirling air. Now when I first look I thought wow that pretty I wonder what it is. Then I realized it was a tornado exhibit. I try to avoid tornadoes having grown up in the Midwest. I have in interest in how do we make ourselves safe. The museum was set up to draw us in and make us curious.  

During advent, Mary is our symbol for one who is curious, who wonders.
But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Luke 1:29
But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19
His mother treasured all these things in her heart. Luke 3:51
When the Angel appears and says "Greetings Favored One, the Lord is with you." Mary is perplexed by these words. She wonders why she is favored. This is the first we learn that Mary thinks about things and wonders. She hears what others say about her son. She hears the words spoken about her son and treasures the words. thinks about the words, wonders about this child that God has blessed her with.

Mary invites us to wonder, to ponder, to treasure what we have heard and learned about Jesus. So may you take time to wonder, to ponder, to treasure in your heart.

I Wander as I Wonder
I wonder, as I wander out under the sky
How jesus the saviour had come for to die
For poor orn'ry creatures like you and like i
I wonder as I wander out under the sky

When mary birthed jesus, 'twas in a cow's stall
With wisemen and shepherds and farmers and all
And high in the heavens a star's light did fall
'twas the promise of the ages, it then did recall

If jesus had wanted for any wee thing
Like a star in the sky, or a bird on the wing
Or all of god's angels in heav'n for to sing
Well, he surely could have had them, for he was their king

I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How jesus the saviour had come for to die
For poor orn'ry creatures like you and like i
I wonder as I wander, out under the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment