God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Monday, February 29, 2016

A Return to Pilgrim Park Church Camp

Pilgrim Park
Have you ever returned to a place that you haven't been in a long time and the memories of those times start flowing through you? When I was young I spent a lot of time at Church Camp. My Dad was a director and on the camping committee and so we were there a lot.

I had my first real encounter with God at this place. I was 9 or 10 and had escaped from the group. I bounced over the suspension bridge as it swayed back and forth. I climbed to the top of the hill and stopped in the clearing that led to the cross. I was drawn to the cross and moved toward the altar. I climbed to the top of the altar and felt bathed in the light of God. I could see every particle of sunlight. There were yellow wild flowers blooming. I look out and could see for miles and miles like I was at the top of the earth looking down. An impossible feet since there is a valley in between with a large ridge in front of me. I felt God and kept this encounter inside. This would fill me up when I was down, would remind me of God's presence when I doubted the tenants of faith.

As I walked through this sacred place for me I remember a lot of things. I remember when I rescued the baby rabbits. They were at the bottom of the mulch that I was supposed to be spreading and when the tractor dislodged them. I carried them back home. I remembered the boys I sat at the table playing cards with. I remembered the times of dancing and singing. I remember the fun and jokes we told as the staff sat up late at night. I remember the stones we gathered to help build the fire place. I remember the painting contest where who ever got the most paint on them got to go out to dinner with the hot guy. I remember the scary texas chain saw massacre story with a live chainsaw and scary person outside that sent the campers scampering.How many times did I play blob, or snipe hunt or find the councilor.  I remembered the laughter and tears. 

These sacred  places are important for our journey and our lives. To return to these place while having changes and transformed help us to remember who we used to be and help us find those parts of ourselves that we have forgotten or  let go of. To return to these places allow to pause and reflect on where we have been, to consciously choose how we move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment