God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Thursday, March 16, 2017

crumbs from the table

From there he set out and went away to the region of Tyre. He entered a house and did not want anyone to know he was there. Yet he could not escape notice, 25but a woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit immediately heard about him, and she came and bowed down at his feet. 26Now the woman was a Gentile, of Syrophoenician origin. She begged him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27He said to her, ‘Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.’ 28But she answered him, ‘Sir, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.’ 29Then he said to her, ‘For saying that, you may go—the demon has left your daughter.’ 30So she went home, found the child lying on the bed, and the demon gone. Mark 7:24-30

crumbs from the table
you've heard over and over
your child's possessed
can't you make your child behave
can't you make your child be quiet
can't your child sit still
maybe you should leave
your child is upsetting me

crumbs from the table
you've tried everything
every herbal supplement
every medication
every psychiatrist, psychologist, doctor, healer, teacher
you have changed your child's diet
no sugar, no wheat, more veggies
you have exercised more
you are tired
you have had enough
where can you turn for help, for hope, for comfort

crumbs from the table
Jesus was hiding out
her didn't want to see anyone
he was tired
everywhere he went people needed
they needed his healing touch
he wanted to be alone
he wanted to rest
he wanted to recharge his batteries
but he couldn't get away

crumbs from the table
the mother begged him to heal her child
her daughter to make her well
she fell to her knees
she bowed down
praying that he who had done so much good
could change the life of her daughter

crumbs from the table
you immigrant, you refugee
I'm not here to help your people
I'm here to change the lives of my people
I'm here to save my people
it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs

crumbs from the table
did this holy one, this healer call me a bitch
is he saying I'm not even human
this can't be the man I heard about
he was supposed to embody compassion
I was told he was kind
how could he speak to me this way
how could he ignore my child

crumbs from the table
Sir, even the dogs
Sir, even the dogs
Sir, even the dogs, get crumbs

crumbs from the table
how many hoops must I jump through
how may times do I have to give them the same documents
how many times must I tell them the story
why is it so hard
why do people make it so difficult
why do they see us as less than them

crumbs from the table
she called him out
this foreign mother held him accountable for his words, his promises
this bitch made him actually think about what it means to love your neighbor

crumbs from the table
for saying that
for calling me out
for making see my hypocrisy
your daughter is free
your daughter is whole

crumbs from the table
I ran home
all the way I kept praying let it be true
I prayed let it be real
they she was on her bed, calm, quiet, well

Crumbs From the Table, U2


No comments:

Post a Comment