God has place this wonderful creation in our hands. As U2 sings, "It's a beautiful day, don't let it slip away." We have this one life to live on this beautiful planet so enjoy these reflections on God, faith, life, and music. "After the flood all of the colors came out. It's a beautiful day."

Thursday, May 11, 2017

What I Have I Give You

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, at three o’clock in the afternoon. 2And a man lame from birth was being carried in. People would lay him daily at the gate of the temple called the Beautiful Gate so that he could ask for alms from those entering the temple. 3When he saw Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked them for alms. 4Peter looked intently at him, as did John, and said, ‘Look at us.’ 5And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. 6But Peter said, ‘I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk.’ 7And he took him by the right hand and raised him up; and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. 8Jumping up, he stood and began to walk, and he entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. 9All the people saw him walking and praising God, 10and they recognized him as the one who used to sit and ask for alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him. Acts 3:1-10
what I have I give you
Peter and John are heading to prayer
they have a lot to pray about
the have much they need guidance for
how will they keep the mission, ministry, word, love of Jesus alive
they seek the wisdom of the Spirit to guide them
at prayer they encounter a man who is lame
he is brought to the temple to ask for alms
he solicits Peter and John
he asks for money
Peter and John look at him
really look at him
they seem to look beyond the question
they look beyond the begging
they see him
he thought that look meant
I will get something for sure
Peter is honest
I don't have silver or gold
what I have I will give you
he heals him
he speaks of Jesus and heals him
he took hold of his hand and raised him up
he could jump and dance
walk and run
he began leaping and praising god

Holy One,
teach me to see
teach me to look intently
teach me to truly see the one in front of me
the one trying to get my attention
don't let me avert my eyes and just walk on by
help me to see

Holy One,
with eyes that look tenderly with love
teach me what I have to give
I wish I could touch the hurt. the sick, the lost and raise them up
I try to open my hand and heart
to see who is before me
to give what I have

Holy One,
we as a country seem to have forgotten
we often look at people not as a commodity, an object to be consumed
we often don't look, we walk by with our eyes or heads down
we don't want to see, to look intently at our neighbor, our stranger
teach us to see, to look, to open our hearts

Holy One,
with our eyes open, our hearts full of love
show me what it is I have to give
show all of us what it is we have to give
we place ourselves in a world where we don't think about those you told us to love, to serve, to see
we can say the sick are that way because they are not blessed,
we can say the sick didn't lead the life they should have
we can say the sick aren't my responsibility
we can say the sick can pay more for help
 forgetting if they are sick, work becomes a challenge
 forgetting that many people don't have any extra money for a unexpected or long term illness
 we forget that the American Dream is just a myth
 if you are born poor you will stay poor
 if you are sick and your family doesn't have the money
 you will be in debt forever to receive care

Holy One,
what I have I give you
you - the lame one,  the sick one, the one in front of me
what I have I give you
you - the ones Jesus loved
you - the ones Peter and John saw
what I have I  give to you

No comments:

Post a Comment